Working with us > Improving Experiences
A culture of continuous improvement is a difficult thing to achieve, particularly when you consider the many other challenges faced by those working across health and social care. However we believe that with the right support and tools it is possible.
Our quality improvement services include:
Define and embed the positive behaviours that drive sustainable improvements in the quality of care.
Our Always Events® Programme in collaboration with the Institute of Healthcare Improvement, translates person and family centred care principles into a tangible set of actions which can be adopted across health and social care organisations or systems.
An Always Event is a clear, action-oriented, and pervasive practice or set of behaviours that provides the following:
- A foundation for partnering with patients and their families
- A set of actions that will ensure optimal patient experience and improved outcomes
- A common platform for all that demonstrates a continuing commitment to person and family centred care.
The Planetree approach to cultural change
Picker partners with Planetree to develop impactful cultural change programmes for healthcare organisations.
Planetree supports organisations from all over the world, with improvement projects and affiliate sites in 20 countries from the Netherlands to the USA, Canada and Brazil. This drives change by providing a structured methodology, tailored to each organisation’s culture and requirements, for humanising, personalising and demystifying person centred care.
Powered by people’s personal stories and insights (whether they be patients, their families, or staff), the Planetree approach guides organisations in making person centred care the centrepiece of a cohesive strategy that accelerates quality improvement and positions your organisation to create change that will last through:
- Development of infrastructures to support change
- Implementation of patient-preferred practices
- Transformation of organisational culture.
For further information please visit www.planetree.org or contact us using the form at the bottom of the page. ‘
- Understand their patient experience data
- Identify overarching areas for improvement
- Setting thresholds for concern
- Engage staff in understanding your experience data and identify areas for improvement with our improvement workshops.
Organisational Data Presentations
- Invite key members of your organisation to examine your data in detail with the support of our expert team.
- Work with us to identify priorities for improvement and understand where to target actions within your organisation.
Case Study: A reflection on personal practice: Being a better doctor
Toolkits that assess, describe and direct the targeted improvement of patient experiences are often designed to inform us about quality on an organisational or system level. But it is equally important to support an individual’s desire to strive for improvement in their own personal practice.
Picker’s Individual Clinician Feedback programme supports professionals to collect, interpret, publish and act on patient feedback that relates to them as an individual.
Professor Ben Bridgewater, Consultant Cardiac Surgeon at University Hospital of South Manchester, on how individual clinicians assess their own performance…
“When you ask, ‘are you a good doctor?’ The answer is, more often than not, yes.
When you ask ‘how do you know?’ answers can involve anecdotes, cards from patients, exam success, lack of complaints or a proven ability to jump through hoops.
But this information isn’t helpful to a clinician looking to learn why a patient had a high quality patient experience, or how they might identify and target areas for improvement.”
Read the full story
“Constantly requesting and responding to patient feedback is what makes a good doctor. But this is not something we see happening widely in health and social care.